Friday, June 29, 2012

DEAR SGT. AL: A TURN ON A CHANGE LANE?


When you see lines like this pretend there is a wall that prohibits you from crossing over the lines


DEAR SERGEANT AL: A couple of months ago I was pulled over by the police for crossing and making a left turn over what looked like a change lane in the middle of the road. The officer let me go with a stern warning, but the problem the officer explained to me however, was that there were two double solid yellow lines on each side of the lane between traffic, and that creates a barrier he explained. I still don't get it. If there are two solid double yellow lines bordering a change lane, does that mean a car can't drive over them? CHANGING LANES AND DIRECTIONS INSIDE NO DRIVE RESTRICTED AREAS GEOGRAPHICALLY

DEAR CLAD IN DRAG: I was stopped and let go several weeks ago by the Inglewood Police for the same violation. As I was making a left over the two solid double yellows on Manchester Blvd. to go into (yes of all places) Randy's Donuts, they pulled me over into the parking lot. I wasn't paying attention I must admit. The cops were professional and really cool about it but warned me to watch out! Yes, the police are so correct in both  instances. 

A single yellow line on each side of the change lane establishes directions on each side of the roadway. You can make a left turn over the road to leave onto a private driveway, but you cannot pass. Yellow stripes are turn and passing zones. Tandem solid and stripe means you can either pass or turn depending on which side the solid or stripe line is on. Solid double yellows: pretend there is a wall that you can only proceed forward or make a right, and you can't do anything over the change lane PERIOD. Above all else, and not a solid rule so it depends on the jurisdiction: if there are signs posted the pavement markings are ENFORCEABLE. So CLAD IN DRAG, you and I both got off with a WARNING by the police I see: watch out for the lines between each side of traffic on the road that make up the change lane, to ensure that you can drive into the lane to either pass or turn into a private road lawfully. Drive carefully!


Suggested Reading:

What is a CARMAGEDDON and when will it happen? 
Am I allowed to walk on a highway?
Suggested Reading:
The definition of a “Concours” car and event
Suggested Reading:
Suggested Reading:
What is the new national terror alert warning?
Taking photographs at off-limits tourist landmarks .

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sgt. Al here. I welcome your comments, ideas, and suggestions. You have questions about the police, and I'm interested in hearing what you have to say as a citizen. Thanks!

Pages