Saturday, May 26, 2012

PART 2: ARREST SPEED: HOW TO AVOID A TRAFFIC TICKET

NEXT TIME TRY TO DRIVE BELOW THE OFFICER’S ARREST SPEED: What’s an arrest speed? It’s the speed an officer determines at what point he will conduct the enforcement. That’s his line in the sand. And like sand, he can erase it and draw a new one, so you have to guess where mine is. The lower the speed zone the lower the arrest speed. You better drop out of warp drive and go to impulse with little wiggle room if at one point you’re flying on an interstate and suddenly you’re on a one lane roadway with a school or church coming up ahead. Boy, are you in for a surprise if you’re not careful! I personally like the high rollers going 21 over the limit and above; it’s an extra one point on your license, and going 31 and above is at least $300, and speeding 41 and above the limit is around $500+ and an automatic suspension. If you are going to make me come to court, I am determined to increase the stakes. And in my jurisdiction there is no plea bargain, it’s winner takes all! Want to play Vegas with your license? Always bet on blue! The traffic court judges know I do this for these reasons when I come walking into their courtrooms. It’s where I built my reputation. I dare you to call me a liar in front of them! If you walk into court on my watch, you are a high flyer, and automatically, most likely GUILTY. HA! So give yourself 15 to no more than a judicious 20 mph over the speed limit on an Eisenhower roadway 55 mph and above, and not more than 15, probably less as the posted speed zone number gets lower. But speeders beware: this is only a guide, not a golden rule! I once had a colleague who often said, “one to ten, take out the pen!” He had an opposite strategy than mine, but was equally successful in traffic court . . .













0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sgt. Al here. I welcome your comments, ideas, and suggestions. You have questions about the police, and I'm interested in hearing what you have to say as a citizen. Thanks!

Pages