Monday, July 23, 2012

DEAR SGT. AL: FIVE MINUTES SHORT ON A MUNI METER TICKET?


 DEAR SERGEANT AL: I recently received a parking ticket for being less than five minutes over time on a muni meter violation. As I was returning to my car I called my attention to the meter officer but she ignored me and continued writing the ticket anyway. I had to stand there as she finished writing the ticket. There literally was a three-minute time difference between the time on the muni receipt and the violation notice. Do I have enough grounds to contest the ticket and should I complain to the meter officer’s commanding officer for not using enough discretion as she plainly saw I was returning to my car within a reasonable amount of time? –THIS INCIDENT CAUSED KNOWLEDGE EXECUTION TO FIX INCIDENT XTRORDINARILY .

DEAR TICKET FIX: What this traffic agent did to you has over the last three years since the implementation of New York City’s muni meter program citywide has been the center of controversy in New York City, which led to the New York City Council introducing legislation last year allowing for a five minute grace period for motorists on a muni meter. The mayor objected to the legislation and vetoed the bill last year. Last March the City Council voted unanimously to override the mayor’s veto, and in fact to additionally ban the Department of Sanitation from putting those annoying hard-to-peel-off stickers on car windows when motorists violate the alternate side of the street cleaning rules. The law takes effect 180 days after March 28, 2012. Trust me when I tell you that this kind of fervor is spreading across the country, as New York isn’t the only city developing a zero tolerance for aggressive ticket revenue collection tactics.
Fortunately judges not only in New York City but also in other parts of the country are already getting wise to this. My suggestion is to make photocopies of everything and plead not guilty, to not be surprised if you either get a reduced fine or a dismissal. You can complain to the agent’s commanding officer, but I think they are more part of the problem than the solution. Governments are running deficits and they need money to turn to civil servants to apply the revenue screws. Until new laws like the Council’s override takes effect there’s little that can be done to address this kind of tactic, which in my opinion is unethical if not now illegal. Sometimes it can take up to 10 minutes if not more to get a muni meter receipt, between finding a meter somewhere on either side of block, one that works in that it takes cash or credit, a meter where you're next to use it as you sometimes have to wait on a line to use one, and after you finally return to the car. Some kind of sanity has to be applied here in using discretion and leeway in leaving and returning to the parked car. In my opinion there should be a 10 minute leeway on either side time-wise of a muni meter violation. If it is any consolation this same kind of thing happened to me two years ago and I was able to get a dismissal. Let me know what happens. Good luck.

2 comments:

  1. I was very pleased to find this site and wanted to thank you for this great read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. If there is a question or comment you'd like to ask or add, please let me know and I'll try to accommodate you the best I can!

    ReplyDelete

Sgt. Al here. I welcome your comments, ideas, and suggestions. You have questions about the police, and I'm interested in hearing what you have to say as a citizen. Thanks!

Pages