Tuesday, August 14, 2012

WHAT IS AN AUTHORIZED TOW?


A zig, a Caddy, AND a tow!

DEAR SERGEANT AL: The other day my car broke down on the side of the highway and I called my husband who said he was coming with a tow truck.  A short time later a tow truck pulled up for me to tell the driver a truck was already on the way, and he said only he can tow my car off the highway, as he was the “authorized tow.” I called my husband back and he said that wasn’t the tow he called because he was with his tow truck driver on his way to get me, so the tow driver at the scene with me wasn’t the one my husband called.  Well, suffice to say by the time my husband arrived it was the Fourth of July all over again at the beginning of August. A state trooper arrived and ordered the tow driver who came first (“the authorized tow”) to tow my car. My husband putting it mildly was pissed as I think the trooper was close to locking my husband up. My husband and I both decided that since we both know you personally, that we would let you know about it for you to determine who was right, my husband or the trooper. Did the trooper have any authority to order the first tow truck to tow my car and not my husband’s tow truck? And was it wrong of my husband and me to protest? —TOWING OFTEN WORKS FOR ONEROUS OSTRACIZED TOW-IES YESTERDAY

DEAR TOW FOOTY: So sorry to hear about your car breaking down and being towed. I hope the problem wasn’t too serious and that you and your husband were able to make it home safely. I hate it when you drag me into an argument involving you and your husband, whom I both love dearly, so I’ll try to resolve this as delicately as I can. I’m also sorry to tell you that most likely unless there are any other facts not presented here that unfortunately the trooper and the so-called “authorized tow” guy were VERY correct in their authority to tow you. You were lucky that hubby with his quick temper wasn’t arrested. Let me explain before the both of you become another bunch of friends that never speaks to me ever again.
Look for signs like this one on the highway to get clues as to what the highway authorized tow service is.
NON-CONSENT means they can tow without your permission.
Many jurisdictions, particularly those that are anything about municipalities or large counties, have local laws if not a state law that mandates highways to have a licensed franchised authorized-tow company tow vehicles that are disabled in an emergency. Since it is so easy for a scammer or rapist or child molester or murderer for that matter to take advantage of someone like you who is disabled on the highway, we need to have these people licensed and bonded so that God forbid they commit a fraud or felony against you we readily know where and how to get them. That’s what authorized tow service is all about. Tow companies place bids to tow vehicles within a certain jurisdiction for a certain time period 24 hours a day seven days a week in exchange for a license of exclusivity to tow vehicles from that jurisdiction. Their prices are usually agreed upon in advance or guided by regulation to be a fixed predetermined price so that the rates are standard. They usually must issue ID’s for both the truck and the operator in case there are any complaints of service. A complaint hotline number and the tow truck company license number are usually emblazoned across the side of the truck by law. If any other tow company tows from that jurisdiction, even if it is a reputable tow service like AAA, that tow company can face serious sanctions like an arrest for a felony or misdemeanor or a serious summons that carries a hefty fine. This is why I am suspicious as to why your husband’s tow guy didn’t speak up to say something to your husband, he should have known better. In any case, if the authorized tow service so happens NOT to be a AAA service, for example, just submit a photocopy of the tow bill for reimbursement to AAA.
The next time should you ever be stuck disabled on the highway TOW FOOTY, instead of worrying about a tow, just call the police. In doing so, not only will this automatically dispatch the proper tow company to come get you, but also by notifying the police they become aware of your location by locking into your cell phone signal. If you are off the highway be guided by the 911 operator to determine if authorized tow or if your own tow should come get you. If the police don’t arrive by the time the tow truck comes, ask for the driver's ID and tow license to copy the information inside your locked car and then call the police again to insist that they come. This way, if a trooper is too far or too busy, a sheriff’s deputy or county or town police will respond to assist you. Most especially since you are female they’ll put a spring in their step since you could be one of their wives or girlfriends or mothers to be in trouble, a thing that gets us cops riled a bit to ensure that you gals are safe. Tell hubby good looking out for you but next time make a bee line for you directly and worry less about getting a tow truck especially when it involves a highway, because if you call the police one is probably on the way. ALWAYS GET OFF THE HIGHWAY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE: NEVER EFFECT REPAIRS OR CHANGE A TIRE ON A HIGHWAY. LEAVE THAT TO AN AUTHORIZED SERVICE TO DO AS IT IS DANGEROUS DOING THAT ALONE AND WITHOUT THE PROTECTION OF A VEHICLE BEHIND YOURS. This way, a large truck will be behind your disable car to act as a buffer zone against traffic. I hope you’re not angry with me for telling the truth, but the road to hell is always paved with good intentions, even when it involves a car that needs to be towed off of it. Safe driving when the car is fixed!


Suggested Reading:













0 comments:

Post a Comment

Sgt. Al here. I welcome your comments, ideas, and suggestions. You have questions about the police, and I'm interested in hearing what you have to say as a citizen. Thanks!

Pages